Sunday 5 December 2010

silver tips in sleepy hollow

One sunny but chilly Halloween's day I mysteriously found myself in Sleepy Hollow NY. How did this Perth girl, land up in the USA on the biggest known American celebration? (Okay not counting Thanksgiving) Just lucky I guess.....

I learnt a pearl of wisdom when I was in NYC visiting my closest friend in the whole wide world...
'Sightseeing if what you do in between drinking coffee and eating cake'

That's the  most true statement ever....

Anyway, so what does one do in Sleepy Hollow? Apart from trawl the vintage stores (bought a fab George Washington plate which is now up in my living room)

Well goes to tea shops of course...Now apparently America doesn't have great tea but we found ourself in a quaint little tea shop.


We waited and waited and waited for a table, it was packed to the brim. We narrowly avoiding a row as we waited, as some obnoxious guy was rude to my friend's wonderful hubby...

Undeterred, we waited for our table. Once there, we selected our tea...and our cakes...and read the informative menu.


So, what cakes did we eat....???

 I selected a delicious almond cake and I loved the little plate it was served on.



My wonderful friend J chose a pear tart. She hated her marzipan, which wasn't mentioned on the menu....so this one doesn't rate highly.

This bad boy below is a scone. yes, A SCONE! If you ever needed proof that everything in America is bigger than the rest of the world, this is it. This scone is about triple the size of an English scone...


Now I would insert a photo here of M's cake but she ate it before I got chance. So here's her tea instead. I loved the tea cosys, nice touch.


So, all in all, a lovely little tea room. If you unexpectedly find yourself in Sleepy Hollow pop in for a tea and scone. Just watch out for grumpy old men beside the door


No comments:

Post a Comment