Tuesday 8 June 2010

chaos at caravan


One rainy day I met the boys at Caravan, Exmouth Market. In the space where Al's was for years, I had heard some great things about this place. Cafe culture in Australia and NZ is huge and there aren't many places to compare the similarities with. So I headed with two NZ boys and one Brazilian to see whether Caravan was antipodean heaven.

This place is popular- we had to wait 45 minutes for a table, but we ordered some coffee and started to catch up on the night out we'd had two evenings previously.

Sticking to the antipodean spirit of things I ordered a flat white, which was perfect.



We were told that our tables would be ready and as we saw the waitress clear the table we all took our seats. Big mistake! The owner came over and told us the table was, in fact, not ready and we must continue to wait. Slightly confused, we exchanged glances and stood by the door. Matters became worse when the owner came over again, stared into our eyes and said that when visiting a cafe we must do as we are told and only sit when told too!


Now, I understand the owner seems to be a perfectionist, but c'mon, to be told once was fine, but twice? We were made to feel we'd done something terribly wrong.

But we had a laugh and ordered our brunch. I went for avocado and chilli on toast, with a side of bubble and squeak and a tomato juice. It was delicious, the avocado was mashed, the chili added that extra kick.

However, I think the bubble and squeak should be left to the classic working man's caff. This was more like some sort of deep fried ball....



I would recommend Caravan,   but be warned , you nust do as you are told! Our experience is apparently common, I heard that my friend's colleague cried after the owner was rude to her. Not great for business!



http://www.caravanonexmouth.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment