Tuesday 28 June 2011

birthday tea at October Cafe

A friend spotted a vegan cafe had opened by Old Street, a place packed with cakes, tea and vegan treats all decked out like your Granny's front room. It sounded like a perfect location for a birthday bash and I was delighted when the owner could accomadate my 10 or so guests. We were all set for afternoon tea at the bargain price of £9 for sarnies, scones, jam, cakes and tea.


We promptly arrived on time and the tables were being set up. No bother, most of the gang were usually late anyway. We took our seats and waited, and waited. Even the late friends arrived and we finally took our orders. Now, I will say here that we waited quite a while, but we enjoyed chatting and no one was stressed. We did exchange a few looks to one another when a member of staff walked by with a loaf of ordinary white bread- they must have run out and she ducked to the shop. This was a bit surprising as we'd booked the tables, so the order was definitely not a surprise! Tempers were starting fray as we were rather parched for our tea, and many of us were hungry as we were saving ourselves for the tea.

So, about an hour and a half after we arrived, we were finally presented with some tea. It's just a shame there were no cups. Turns out they were being washed up. But we finally had cups too and were also given some afternoon tea which we scoffed rather fast. I managed to get a few snaps.

vegan afternoon tea
The crockery in October Cafe is super cute, all mismatched and just the I love. I really admire someone setting up a new business, especially a vegan one and I really hope October Cafe succeeds. 

I got some great ideas, like serving jam and cream in tea cups when I make scones.




Scrumptious vegan cream with scones and jam...delicious. Scones were a little flat though (sorry)


The top tier of the cake stand was stacked with specially ordered cakes. I ordered the vegan fruit tart below, but with the long wait, somehow I managed to eat one of the cupcakes. Luckily as it was my birthday all was forgiven.



The Victorian Sponge looked delicious. I'm hoping that there will be some comments in the section about what it tasted like R!

nice plate, let's wait to hear about the cake
another vegan treat

Now, I loved October Cafe and I would go back in a flash. We did have to wait a while but it was worth it. I really admire the owner for setting up a vegan cafe and I really hope it does well.

5 tea cups! I urge everyone to visit. I shall be !

2 comments:

  1. I had a lovely time there, but you're right, the slow service and lack of cups was bizarre! Maybe they were still getting the hang of it, being so new.

    My victoria sponge was nice... but as with many vegan cakes, it was very heavy. More like a cake then a sponge. I prefer them to be light and fluffy. It was still nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Fantastic range of modern and classic Crockery, Cleaning Products, Glassware are available at sensible prices to help create that perfect dining experience.

    ReplyDelete